I still remember my first 3D movie. It was a cheesy horror flick on TV with some kind of swamp monster. I was around 6 and it must have been a big deal back then because even TV guide had a pair of 3D glasses in that week’s issue. I am saying “must have been” because I am sure that any kid today would look at me and my pair of cardboard glasses and feel sorry for me. But that’s what we had in the 80′s: cheap cardboard pieces of awesomeness. Here is my yummy tribute to old school 3D glasses:
- for the cookies:
- 1½ stick butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups flour
- ½ cup corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- red and blue food coloring
- for royal icing (makes enough for 60 cookies):
- One 2lb pack of confectioner sugar
- ⅓ cup meringue powder
- ¾ cup water
- To make cookie dough, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together on high speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg and any flavorings and mix on medium speed to incorporate. Add the flour and mix on low speed until the dough comes together.
- Roll between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Cut out your cookies and place them on baking sheets. Cut out holes for each eye.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden.
- In a glass Pyrex measuring cup, mix ¼ cup syrup and ½ cup sugar until mixture resembles wet sand. Microwave for 1½ minutes. Stir and add red food coloring. Microwave for another minute. Pour red liquid sugar into each cookie. Repeat with blue.
- To make royal icing, place all 3 ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Mix on slow for a minute to combine your ingredients. Turn the mixer to high speed and mix for 7 minutes. Pour icing into a pastry bag or squeeze bottle and pipe onto each cookie.
To make the dough, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together on high speed until light and fluffy:
Add the egg and any flavorings and mix on medium speed to incorporate:
Add the flour and mix on low speed until the dough comes together:
Roll between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes:
For this project I am using a glasses cookie cutter I found on Amazon for under $1 (Click here to find that cookie cutter).
Start by cutting your cookies and place them on a baking sheet:
Using a tiny round or teardrop-shaped cookie cutter, cut out holes in each cookie:
Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden.
In a glass Pyrex measuring cup, mix 1/4 cup syrup and 1/2 cup sugar until mixture resembles wet sand:
Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes:
Stir and add red food coloring. Microwave for another minute:
Pour red liquid sugar into each cookie:
Repeat with blue. Remember, red on the right side, blue on the left side:
Now here is a tip. See how the red sugar glass looks all funky? I waited too long before I started pouring the sugar so it had started to thicken up. No worries, to fix that, take your heating gun and warm up the sugar.
It will go from this…
If you don’t have a heating gun, a kitchen torch works too. Or you can also pop the cookies back in the oven for a minute.
All these cookies need is a coat of white royal icing: